Monday 6 May 2019

Design Development

I experimented with photocopying and screenshotting very zoomed in shots of this image of my symbols in sequence.



 Each image now contains parts of two symbols (in one case, just one) with 4 images making up each route/sequence now. 















I started experimenting with how the images might look in a publication, putting them together in double page spreads. I really like the way the images interact and this emphasis on form is highlighted by using simply black and white. Some images when placed together coincidentally fit together harmoniously and shapes and strokes seem to slot together like a messy jigsaw puzzle. For this reason, I decided to put all the images together in order of their routes, with 3 rows and 4 columns. The result was a really interesting expressive larger composition. I developed this more by putting some of the images on a black background and making them smaller - just to play around with the negative space and equalise the black white ratio of the composition. It was then that I realised this could be the final map, and actually, it could fold down like a traditional map, with a front and back cover. The idea of contrasting a traditional map format/product with this subverted abstract response to mapping seemed like it would be a really interesting idea. 





No comments:

Post a Comment