Monday 6 May 2019

Louise Borinski - Research

Louise Borinski is a Berlin based graphic designer. A lot of her design work uses symbols, often very abstract shape based and geometric compositions. I decided to research her work to maybe get a feel for how I can present my symbols. Firstly she has a risographed manifesto booklet called ‘Signs for Equality’ - each symbol represents a word or idea related to equality, they are presented very simply on individual pages with small descriptions underneath. I really like the design of this publication, however I think my symbols have to be in a set and presented in their full route as that’s sort of their purpose, despite this idea of abstraction, its still a route. I also really like her geometric posters, containing bright gradients, symbols and type, I could do a poster for each of my routes, however I feel as if a posters purpose is to communicate a message or advertise something, my symbols aren’t so much informative as they are functional. Ultimately I really like the way Louise presents these symbols in her work, however my symbols are so much more varied, there’s almost more sort of chaos going on then in her resolved symmetrical symbols, maybe I should embrace this and try and experiment more. 








No comments:

Post a Comment