Thursday 10 January 2019

Abbey Road Typeface Ideas

Starting from the typeface used on the Abbey Road Sign - seems like a good place to start and would link visually quite well.
  • Half of the album contained individual songs and half contained a medley of songs, perhaps there is an element of asymmetry within the typeface, half of a letterform is stepped/striped indicating the intervals between songs but also visually representing the zebra crossing. 
  • The letterforms could be curved and psychedelic - although the album’s style isn’t as psychedelic as other Beatles albums, this could be subtle as there is still hints off that style, it also would visually represent the Beatles as a band well. 
  • Basing the typeface off of the song Something seeing as it was he best song on the album according too the band -
  • Something in the way she moves
Attracts me like no other lover
Something in the way she woos me
I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how
Somewhere in her smile she knows
That I don't need no other lover
Something in her style that shows me
I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how
You're asking me will my love grow
I don't know, I don't know
You stick around and it may show
I don't know, I don't know
Something in the way she knows
And all I have to do is think of her
Something in the things she shows me
I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how

  • The song has 4 stanzas, perhaps a quadrant grid system could play into it, each quarter off the letter form could correspond to a section of the song and it could be visually effected by the tone of that stanza I.e. the 3rd stanza - the bridge - is louder and has a rising quality so that section off the letter could be larger or have a gradual rise in it.
  • Based upon Lennons reversal of the chords for Moonlight Sonata, elements of the letterforms could be reversed?

No comments:

Post a Comment