Friday 8 March 2019

Mapping with Symbols - Peer Crit and Feedback

For this group critique, I showed the refined symbols I created in sequence, representing my journey to uni, just as a an example of how I would use symbols to map a journey. One thing I didn’t like about the symbols I created was that some of them are two pictorial and look like little clip art drawings or something. I want the symbols to be more geometric and abstract, which my feedback indicated was the right way to go. However, by doing this, will the visual communication of these locations be less clear? Feedback in the crit also suggested that I could look at other visual/distinct elements of the buildings I’m making symbols of; do these buildings have tags or graffiti on? Would people recognise these and know what location they are in reference to?




The main questions we were looking to answer about our work in this crit were:

What are you mapping?
How are you mapping it?
Why are you mapping it like this?


I have a method of mapping, but I need to think more about what I am mapping, and how this relates to using symbols. One idea which I would really like to take forwards is the idea of producing a universal set of symbols which can be used to give directions when put in sequence. I could have symbols relating to different locations, arrow symbols relating to directions and numbers relating to distance e.g. if you needed to walk 100m and then turn left at the garage, it would be ‘100’ ‘left arrow’ ‘garage symbol’. I could produce a key/catalogue of these symbols and then maybe also produce an example of how they would be used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment