Friday 8 March 2019

Signs and Symbols - Adrian Frutiger

Frutiger’s incredibly expansive book on symbols is a great point of reference for creating my way-finding symbols. He goes through the the basic shapes and how humans psychologically respond to the e.g. a square reminds the viewer of walls, it’s structured and secure, a triangle is directional and navigational and also the human eye is always drawn to a horizontal/vertical line before a curve or diagonal line. Little things like this will be useful when creating my symbols, I could for example, use a square structure for all the locations which are buildings/indoor. 







The book also contains a lot of really cool symbols which could be used as visual inspiration. They are more abstract and geometric, just like I wanted my symbols to be. Some of them incorporate arrows as well which may apply well to the arrows I need to create.





No comments:

Post a Comment